5/6 of the girls that we interviewed yesterday were mothers, and not a one of them was over 21. Most of them were mothers before they were legally allowed to drink, vote, etc.
After a sweltering afternoon of walking around these streets, Ferney & I parted ways, as I headed back to the office, and then back to the apartment to grab some overnight things. Amalia (host mother) had been invited by her former neighbors out to their flower farm in the outskirts for dinner & a sleepover, and I was included in the invite.
The night was filled with old-friend-banter in Spanish, Arguardiente (a licorice-y alcohol that I took 3 shots of, and still they were miffed when I said I didn't want any more - a few bottles were finished), and LAUGHTER. It was lovely. The weather on the farm was significantly cooler, which was so nice. The house was incredible - the kind of colonial estate that you imagine when you think of wealthy rural Colombia/Latin America - open and elegant. The company was rather lovely too. The owners of the farm are very down to earth, funny, sophisticated folk. I am hoping to play tennis with the husband sometime soon!
In the morning we woke up early and Amalia and I returned to Ibague for the second Saturday morning mini-tournament with A Ganar applicants. I played most of the time during this tourney, and it was super fun! I think the kids are realizing that we are for real!
I came back, napped, went to the pool, bought a fan, and ate a stuffed arepa for dinner. Now for an early night.
Here is a random shot of a raw meat/fruit shop. Mmmmmmm....
A bug that was huge & beautiful, and had weird spikey legs that made it hard to flick him off my finger, once he was on, and some lovely trees flowering.
No comments:
Post a Comment