Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Evangelical Lunch

Oh lordy (pun intended), I just had the most uncomfortable conversation with a Colombian since arriving. There I was, sitting at a table in the vegetarian restaurant across from the office, minding my own business, when WHAM, in walks the most religious person I have ever met (I didn't know that yet). He asked what I was reading. I told him about Gaviotas (the book & the place), he seemed interested. He learned I am American. He thanked me, profusely, and for 40 minutes, for the previous generations of Americans that came to Colombia and invested their time, money, heart, and soul to bringing the knowledge and love of the Living God to the Colombian people. He spoke of thanking Jesus for every and any thing. He asked me if I believed in Jesus. I felt really uncomfortable, so I said yes. He then proceeded to tell me that Colombians are full of love, but their heart hurt for America, because the firey love for God has been dying out in the US. He said, "the US is a land of opportunity, so foreigners come and bring their own cultures, and they call it American, but it isn't, because they don't believe in the One True God. And because of them, poor America is taking God out of high schools, out of the Constitution (um.........), off of the dollar bill, kids aren't even taught to pray in high schools in the US anymore"..... America is losing it's heart and soul, because now there is no longer a majority of Christians. America is losing it's identity as a God-loving country.

Sorry new friend, but did you know that the US was something else before the Anglo-Saxons? And that something else didn't believe in a white old guy in the sky.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Aaaaaahahahahahahahhahahhhaaaa!!!! The best advice I have gotten here in TZ about God is that if I don't pray to G.O.Dizzle about precisely what kind of husband I want then he won't know and I will be stuck with a bad one.