Today was the final day of a volunteerism conference in Bogota that I attended. The conference was well worth the trip here, and I am inspired to begin the process of the service learning aspect to A Ganar (I guess I should wait for the youth to be selected & the program to start, eh???) It was a bit awkward at times, as Matt Claussen, VP of Partners of the Americas was there, creating numerous "Partners" meetings that I was default invited to, but never had anything to contribute. I wound up sitting on the sidelines while the executive board of IAVE, the International Association of Volunteer Efforts, discussed the upcoming Global Youth Summit in Barranquilla in November 2011 (I am coming back for that!!!!!) But I was warmly welcomed, and I think I have a new part time job ;) (unpaid of course.....)
But on a non-professional note, this week in Bogota has been crazy. The first few days I really didn't do anything, and before the conference started I was spending the whole day in the apartment, basically doing NOTHING. After the first day I came straight back to the apartment again, but last night I went on an adventure with my new friend Anthony (from Barranquilla). We left the conference and walked about 30 blocks, and then ventured into the TransMilenio station - the Bogota equivalent to T buses for you Bostonians. It was JAM PACKED, more crowed than a can of sardines, really, and intimidating. We boarded the first bus with ease, but when we went to get off, it was literally impossible. There is no unwritten rule here (at least none that is respected) that the people boarding should let those getting off go first, and so basically both groups just push into each other and no one goes where they are trying to go. So we stayed for another stop, and then I got off first, which literally brought me to tears I was laughing so hard. I was basically walking into a mass as resistant as drying cement. We finally got out, and then tried to board another bus. At this point I was giggling on a consistent basis, and couldn't stop because it was the awkward uncomfortable giggle. I mentioned taking a taxi instead. He resisted for a minute, but then we left. I mentioned that I am a bit claustrophobic, and he said he was too! Hahaha, neither of us wanted to admit that we were super uncomfortable!
From the station we walked probably another 20-30 blocks looking for somewhere to go and then looking for Anthony's friend from school, who was going to meet us. We made it to a cafe after another dozen blocks, and had cappucinos while Eliana practiced her English with me and we all laughed non-stop. From the cafe we walked (half a block, yippee) to the Bogota Beer Company, where we ordered a pitcher of the house-brew, and then proceeded to play King Cup. For those who don't know, it is a silly drinking game involving playing cards.
The game was such a hit that the 3 Colombians demanded that we schedule our next adventure, and convinced me to come back for the weekend after my birthday to Bogota.
Apart from a ridiculous night, I also was able to make fast friends with Jennifer, a 23 year old who works for an organization that helps street children & addresses child labor in Ibague. We have plans for the whole weekend!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment