For the past few days I have been working with Ferney, our program coordinator, and occasionally with a psychologist that we have contracted to interview all of the applicants to the program. It is very slow work, and tragic to hear the histories of the boys from the orphanage/youth home. Some of the stories include:
- abusive parents
- neglect
- abandonment
- FARC/paramilitary violence (including one boy who told us today about the bomb that exploded near where he & his Mom were walking, killing her & leaving him critically injured by shrapnel)
- narcotics use at the age of 4
- bouncing from institution to institution, without ever finding a home.
The program is coming to life, but we have SO MUCH to do before the beginning of training, which is supposed to begin in October, so yikes....
As for Ibagué, I still don't know the town well, but I do know the direction of the office from my apartment, and back. I got internet working at the office today, which was a major relief, as I will be needing to work at the office this year (no desk in my apartment.... how to write a thesis on an uncomfortable bed?) The only drawback is that my office neighbor is rather loud at times (when he isn't in a coma-like slumber).
My Spanish is crawling along, and sometimes I find myself having a meaningful conversation and sounding less foreign than the day before, which is always ever so encouraging! I have volunteered to teach English classes to A Ganar youth if they show motivation & promise, so that will be FUN!
Here are some photos of the Albergue (orphanage/youth home):
Here are some other notes on Ibagué, nice & random for your enjoyment:
The other day I saw a man walking his bike up the road (it had a giant rocking chair strapped onto the back with twine)
I was sent straight back to Dar es Salaam the other day when the taxi I was in drove past a pile of burning garbage - oh lordy, we need to make recycling a global phenomenon.
Shakira is NOT the only singer from Colombia that we should know... according to everyone I have spoken to. Branch out! (Playlist to come)
Today I participated on a skype conference call that got all the more uncomfortable every minute that passed: in Latin America there is no sense of letting people finish what they are saying, nor is modulating the tone a high priority. Anxiety-central!
More to come, but now to skype to catch up with Mamacita. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment