- When leaving a restaurant, it is polite to ask permission to leave from the other people dining.
- Eat everything at lunch, even when it seems like you will explode, because dinner will be small.
- Getting "gordita" (a little fat) is a small price to pay for eating what you want - I don't know anyone who "watches what they eat".
- Language = power - the more I understand & am able to express myself here, the more responsibility I am given here at CAC.
- "Que mas" (which means what else) should be followed by "bien" (good), not "nada" (nothing).
- I should just suck it up and get used to people waiting on me - I think I have cleared my plate from the table at "home" once since arriving 2 weeks ago.
- Very few Colombians like to go hiking (I haven't met a single person who even knows what to tell me when I ask about how to go to National Parks and hike).
- A decade ago, driving from Ibague to Bogota was unheard of. Since then, it is about as dangerous as driving from Boston to New York.
- Even kids with the most tragic stories are super respectful and polite, and I love them.
- Colombia is not at all like it is painted in the US - it is safe, full of loving, caring, welcoming people, and gorgeous.
- Mountains surrounding a city does not mean that the city will feel like Cusco.
- When a boy asks a girl to hang out, a positive response = they are dating (woooooops).
- I much prefer Latin greetings to American ones - every day I give and receive scores of kisses :)
- Spanish is so different between cities, not to mention countries - a word means one thing in Ibague and something different (and horrifying) in another place.
- Aguardiente (locally made licquor) is made from cane sugar, has anise added, and is a little bit like jaeger - ugh, and friends will go through a few bottles in a night.
- The Colombian school system does a terrible job of teaching English, though everyone must take it. So far, I much prefer people speaking to me in Spanish to people speaking to me in English (their accents & lack of vocab make it literally impossible to decipher).
Friday, September 24, 2010
A few things I have learned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I love your blog!! I read it everyday and it makes my day, every day!!! I love the observations on today's post!!! In Boise tonight, great Thai food for dinner (yes, in Boise) and my first match is at 9:30. Yikes! Wish you were here to cheer me on! Miss you! Love Madrecita OX
Post a Comment