Friday, October 8, 2010

Capacitación (Training). & TO-LI-MA wins again!

Today was the first day of a two day training with Patricio, a facilitator/expert with the A Ganar program, which he implements in Ecuador, and which he introduces in countries throughout Latin America.

It was an intensely inspiring training, and I left with very conflicting feelings: I can NOT wait to start implementing and become a part of the magic of youth empowerment, but at the same time I came to realize more clearly (though I had already been suspecting this) that we are not ready to begin, and that in order to do the program & the youth participants justice, we must do it WELL. And that means squaring certain specifics away before we start training kids.

The training was a perfect example of A Ganar, with some of the day spent in a classroom, and some spent on the soccer "field" (made of concrete, it is hard for me to call it a field). We went through some of the activities that we will be using to teach the 6 core competencies/values/skills of the first phase - the social/personal growth empowerment phase.

The field exercises were really fun & funny, and very practical as well. I see the reason behind the A Ganar methodology already. Here are some photos of field activities!!

Ferney, Amalia, Norma, William, Jesus
Nora, not sure, Jorge, not sure, Cesar!
Rule: never let go of your partner's hand... gets pretty sweaty.
Cesar, strategizing big time with me. At one point I forgot that my partner was wearing high heels, and took off after the ball with her, poor lady....

Another activity. It is much harder to play soccer with hands behind your back than you would think.

Hardest activity of the day. Communication. Hmmm.
After the training, we dropped Patricio off at the hotel to shower, swung by the office (which ended up taking more than an hour), heading home for a race-shower, and then picked Patricio up again for dinner & a Deportes Tolima game. We ate arepas rellenas, cornmeal 'bun' type things that are divine, filled with meats of all kinds. Tonight's arepas were also toasted after being filled, giving them a nice crusty exterior. YUM. (Minus the meat interior)

The game was local, so way less intense than the South American cup game I attended a few weeks back, but again we won. It was a fun night! Here is a picture of my Ibaguereño family!
Armando, me, Amalia

A Ganar folks (Ferney, me, Patricio, & Amalia) + a random passerby

No comments: