Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The shakedown

I was on the street just now, waiting to access the ATM, and a group of about 10 or 12 soldiers of the Colombian army walked up the street and approached a number of men standing around, doing business, waiting for the ATM, talking on the phone. They all were asked to show their papers to the police, and every one of them got a full body pat down.

I couldn't help but think how unfair that was. They didn't do a single thing to warrant suspicion, and yet they got a full pat down. Not to mention that it was only men who were questioned. Not a single lady was even looked at. So unfair.

I extended my tourist visa today. He gave me 30 days, which means I have to go back in December and pay another $40 and go through the bureaucratic BS one more time. Oh Colombia. But he was super excited to practice his English with me. I also had to give the fingerprint of each finger individually and each hand together. Strange. For another 30 days of "travel".

1 comment:

Katie said...

Every time the police notice I am in a taxi they make the taxi stop and give them a bribe because they figure if they have a mzungu in their car then they must make pretty good money. It's bullshit. I feel you lady.