Friday, October 10, 2008
Day 19: Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
This morning I woke up in Cheyenne, WY and headed straight out towards the Colorado border and Rocky Mountain National Park. The Trail Ridge Road, which cuts through the middle of the park and twists and turns between the 10-14,000 ft peaks, reaching 12,000+ft on the road itself, was still open. I drove the road today, because if I waited I wouldn't have been able to get it in.... The snowstorm coming through tonight will certainly shut the road down.
I then headed out to the Moraine Park area to spot wildlife - huge herds of elk, with the males in rut and calling out in their flute-like voice to control their harems. One elk out in the field had about 60 females under his sway.... Must have been one hell of a flute!
Tomorrow I will do some hiking in the park, assuming the snow isn't too high!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your pictures are great, Casey! Keep 'em coming. :)
cute lil elky faces
Post a Comment