I left Lewistown, MT around 9AM, and made it to Glacier NP boundaries around 3PM that afternoon. The drive was uneventful, more of the same prairie, which made me a bit nervous about having planned 4 days in Glacier. Luckily just before I got to East Glacier, MT, the mountains zoomed up into the sky, and I could tell that it was the most beautiful place I had ever been.
I set up camp in the Two Medicine campsite, an area held sacred by the local Blackfeet Indians, and relaxed for the afternoon, exploring very close to the campsite, but nothing too far away. I had been intimidated by all of the "BEAR COUNTRY" signs, and cautions advising people not to hike alone.... Just before the sun set that night a woman walked by saying that there had been bears in the campsite area spotted... I was really nervous all night long, waking up at the slightest sound and thinking I was about to be eaten. In fact, in the morning I did wake up to some growling, but I just stayed in my tent, despite having to use the bathroom, and waited until I heard signs of life from other people staying at the campsite.
Thursday I traveled from Two Medicine up to St. Mary, a town that has an entrance to the park, and which had an open visitor's center (since I had still not found a trail map or anything like that). I spoke to the ranger at the information desk about being really nervous to hike alone, based on all of the signs and warnings. She advised me to buy some bear spray (even though I had been laughing at the concept at EMS, I went ahead and bought it for $45... well worth my life I think). I headed out on the St. Mary road into the park, stopping at the viewpoints to marvel at the incredibly bright turquoise color of the glacial lakes, and the incredibly bright yellows and oranges of the foliage. Someone had mentioned that spring is the best time of year to be in Montana, but I have to disagree. I felt like I was there at the PERFECT time!
I went for a short hike to some waterfalls, probably 4 miles road trip, and I was clapping and shouting every 30 seconds the entire time! No bear though.... It was a gorgeous day, and the pictures say more than I can.
Once again, find more pictures at http://gallery.me.com/caseys_travels/ under the Glacier NP album!
2 comments:
so beautiful!!
that last picture is my favorite, and a few of the other shots from this same view on your other site. awesome
Post a Comment