Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tropical Paradise

This morning I left the host-siblings' apartment for the airport. I had a jolly and friendly conversation with the taxi driver in the 40 minutes it took to arrive at the airport.

I had to buy a tourist card to get to San Andres, equivalent to about $25. Bit of a bummer, but what can you do, right? It was a 2 hour flight, and I read and listened to Jackson Browne's solo acoustic tour CD, thinking of home & family.

We landed at 1, and I was off in a taxi to Juliana's house. Building wise this place is so similar to Colombia in general. But in between the clusters of ugly cement boxes there was white sand, palm trees, and turquoise ocean. Gorgeous!! Juliana is living in a 3 bedroom house right on the best beach on the island. We had lunch and then she headed to work, and I headed to the beach.



I spent the afternoon on the beach with Juliana's neighbors, Shannon (9) & Aron (7). I tried to head out to take some steller pics with the new waterproof camera, but a combination of mini-waves, depth, and my unjustfied fear of underwater threats (sharks, etc.) made the few pictures I did take pathetic... Hopefully today will make up for that, and justify the splurge purchase of the camera.

Last night we met up in town and drank coconut mojitos and mango margaritas in a surf-themed bar owned by two artists, so Caribbean... It was Omar's, a friend of Juliana's, birthday, and we laughed all night long. Omar asked me to dance, but the slow but heavily sexual San Andres dance style was a bit too much for me...

Today we're going snorkeling in a place famous for tranquil waters and loads and loads of fish. Wooo!!!! :D

No comments: