Monday, December 6, 2010

The Dangers of Over-Excitement

Last night I was sitting in the backseat of a car while my friends ran into a store, and I noticed a boy of about 5 or 6 zooming around, playing some imaginary game with himself that involved some sort of imaginary power motor. He was running and jumping and screaming and generally having a grand old time. And then he stopped, looked down at his pants, noticed they were wet, and bent down to smell them. He then went into his house, dejected. He had peed in his pants. Classic moment to witness.

Today I went to class with the youth in both zones, as we had guests: a local youth music group that aims to keep Musica Andina Colombiana alive, with the spirit of youth. Super inspiring performances and general attitudes. I want to join! Many of the A Ganar kids asked how they could join. Success!!

After hanging with the kids all afternoon, I got home to find that Julian, one of my personal favorites, and one of the youth that I interact with most, had tagged me on facebook in a picture describing friendship. How adorable. I felt like crying a little bit. To think that this 16 year old Colombian who I struggle to communicate with through words, but who I communicate with through energy and presence, counts me among his true friends. Hurray for genuine connection! That is what it is all about, I have come to learn.

No comments: